Publication Abstracts

Kharecha 2009

Kharecha, P.A., 2009: Drastically altered energy use is needed to stabilize future climate. Earth, 54, no. 6, 86.

Approximately 80 percent of the rise in carbon dioxide from its preindustrial level to its current level is due to the worldwide burning of fossil fuels (coal, oil and natural gas). The remaining 20 percent is due to deforestation and other land use practices. All studies of future global warming, including the Fourth Assessment Report by the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change in 2007, project that carbon dioxide emissions from fossil fuels will remain the dominant cause of the problem. Constraints on conventional oil, natural gas and coal supplies will play an important role in determining the magnitude of future climate change. But we cannot simply take the unacceptable risk that such constraints will solve the climate problem by themselves. We can and must change the way we obtain energy in order to prevent disastrous climate change.

  • Get PDF (116 kB)
  • PDF documents require the free Adobe Reader or compatible viewing software to be viewed.

Export citation: [ BibTeX ] [ RIS ]

BibTeX Citation

@article{kh08000i,
  author={Kharecha, P. A.},
  title={Drastically altered energy use is needed to stabilize future climate},
  year={2009},
  journal={Earth},
  volume={54},
  number={6},
  pages={86},
}

[ Close ]

RIS Citation

TY  - MGZN
ID  - kh08000i
AU  - Kharecha, P. A.
PY  - 2009
TI  - Drastically altered energy use is needed to stabilize future climate
JA  - Earth
VL  - 54
IS  - 6
SP  - 86
ER  -

[ Close ]

➤ Return to 2009 Publications

➤ Return to Publications Homepage